b) Teaching writing in multilingual contexts from the perspective of discourse genres (considering different grammatical and pragmatic aspects) through the design and implementation of didactic sequences as a didactic methodological device for didactic research.
This research topic has been developed in three projects funded by the University of Valencia and the Regional Ministry of Education (Generalitat Valenciana): “Achievements and difficulties in the writing of linguistic autobiographies” (UV-AE-08-2442), “Analysing the writing of linguistic autobiographies and opinion essays in students of different educational stages in different languages” (GVA/2009/105), and “Writing difficulties in argumentative and expository texts, and instructional intervention” (UV-INV-AE11-42019). This research topic has been developed in Early childhood education (Santolària Orriós), Primary education (in Spanish-Catalan, España Palop and García Folgado, and in English, Soler Pardo), Secondary education (Abad Beltrán, García Vidal and Martí Climent; also Pérez Giménez, with regards to oral language and with the same methodological approach) and University (in English, García-Pastor, and in Spanish-Catalan, Bea Reyes).
b) Teaching and learning grammar
- Grammar in writing: This research topic has been developed by our group coordinator Rodríguez Gonzalo together with the research group GREAL (Research group in the teaching and learning of languages) of the Autonomous University of Barcelona in the projects “Metalinguistic activity in plurilingual situations” (SEJ2006-10417-EDUC), and “The effect of language awareness in the construction of writing competence” (EDU2011-26039); and the group directed by M. Martínez at the University of Alcala in the project “Focus on form in the subject ‘Language and Literature’ in Secondary education” (UAH2011/HUM-005).
- Historiography of grammar instruction: This research topic has been developed by García Folgado in collaboration with researchers from different universities (Córdoba, Granada, Leipzig and Buenos Aires) in the projects “CODIGRAM: Codification of grammar in the Spanish language” (BFF2002-00230), “ANAGRAMA: The beginnings of modern syntax: Logical and grammatical analysis in the teaching of Spanish” (HUM2007-60976), “The configuration of Argentinian school grammar” (CONICET, PIP 11220100100218).
c) Teaching and learning reading comprehension through the analysis of pre-service teachers’ performance using video-recordings and self-confrontation interviews.
Rodríguez Gonzalo, García Folgado, Pérez Giménez and Soler Pardo have been developing the project “Analysis of pre-service teachers’ performance with regards to the development of Primary education students’ reading competence” (UV-INV-PRECOMP13-115492) in line with the studies developed by the research group HIPREST at different universities (Geneva, Basc Country, and Mondragón). España Palop, Bea Reyes, García Vidal, García-Pastor and Martín Marchante have recently joined the research in the project “Reading comprehension and content learning in the classroom setting: Analysis of pre-service teachers’ practice” (GV/2015/058).
d) Foreign language teaching and learning in Second Language Teacher Education students:
- English as a foreign language (EFL) teaching and learning: García-Pastor has focused on the teaching and learning of L2 grammar and pragmatics in college students through the project “Contrastive pragmatic and intercultural competence: analysis and pedagogical implications” (PB96-0773), and the previously mentioned projects on writing UV-AE-08-2442, and GVA/2009/105. Martín Marchante’s work deals with the evaluation of the pragmatic aspects of the language in EFL.
- Translation and dubbing as tools for language teaching and learning: This research topic has been developed by Soler Pardo and Torralba Miralles.
- Spanish as a foreign language (SFL) teaching and learning: España Palop.